CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

One little moment changes everything...

I was sitting across from my two friends, Brettley and Jesse.  I've been friends with these guys for years, since my sophomore year in high school when we were all in the same math class.  These boys have been there for me from the first boyfriend, to the last.  And even though we don't talk as much now, I'm sure that we'll always be friends and always be there for each other when we can.  In fact, as we were sitting at the restaurant, they were already doing me a million favors and taking on so much more than I ever expected.


We were eating pizza, I believe at Litza's Pizza, and they were giving me a ride to the airport for my first trip out to Florida to see if I liked it.  My bags were packed and waiting at my apartment with my dog... I knew if I moved I wouldn't be able to take that beloved puppy with me.  It was way too hot for him....  Not only would they be taking me to the airport, but they were going to take my dog for the week... and when I moved, they would take him forever.

"Why the hell did you date McCall??"

My mind had wandered.... "Huh, whatta?"

"McCall?  What did you see in him?"  Jesse had his classic grin on his face.  We had been talking about how things had changed since we were first met, and past memories... which seemed fitting, considering where we were headed in the next couple hours.

"Why didn't you guys stop me?"  I yelled at him, wide eyed.  "I was totally blinded and thought that I liked him, when he was the worst boyfriend ever!  You could have given me some warning.  Worst two years of my life."

"Well... Jesse did kinda try to date you first."  Brett shrugged his shoulders, and started playing with our straws like they were drum sticks.

"Excuse me?"

"Well, yeah.  That's actually how he knew your number..."  Jesse started to get a little shy.  "I was interested in you first and kept repeating it so I would memorize it... and he ended up memorizing it, and realized I wanted to date you, so he started flirting with you to make me mad."

"What?"

"Yeah.  He first started getting all cute with you because I wanted to date you.  And that's just how he was.  I tried to get in there too, but I was too nervous, and just kinda gave up... I guess."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing... My first boyfriend didn't date me because he liked me.  He dated me to piss his friend off.  This is the guy that took my virginity, that I wasted a couple years on, and in the end cheated on me and dumped me the day before Valentine's day... Oh, yeah, then he went on his mission...  Didn't even like me in the beginning.  What a keeper.  I sure know how to pick 'em.  Seriously.

My jaw dropped.  I took a couple breaths... "Are you being serious?  Why did you guys stay friends with him if he was such an ass?"

"We liked his house!"  Brett admitted without any shame.  "His parents were never home and there was always something to do."

"Huh... "  I can't believe he seriously didn't love me like that in the beginning.  What a liar.  "You could have warned me, still."

"Can you imagine how different everything would be if you never dated him?"

I never thought about that before.  If I never had dated McCall... I wouldn't have hung out with these guys.  If I had ended up dating Jesse instead... I can't even imagine how crazy it would all have been.  At all.  If I knew how he really was, and I never dated him, I wouldn't have met Joe.  I wouldn't have had my heart so broken...  I wouldn't have met the people I did, dated the guys I did... tried to move on the way I did...  My entire life would have not been like this.  I wouldn't have met my best friends.  I wouldn't be going to Florida.

We talked about all the possibilities on the way to the airport.  Oden, my awesome dog, was in the back seat.  My stuff was in the trunk... And so many scenarios ran through all of our heads.  Each one seemed so much better than the others.  We still talked about it as they helped me to the check in counter.  

I was completely distracted the entire time as I walked down to my gate.  I hardly remember walking onto the plane, or walking down the isle.

I was still in awe as I climbed into my seat for the long flight...  No McCall.  No Joe.  None of this would have happened.  I would not be here if it wasn't for them...  The damage they did to me, put me where I was that day.

I looked out the window at all the other planes lined up outside, and tried to take in the mountains, yet again.  And I couldn't be more thankful to the guys that messed up my head in the first place to put me in that airplane.

0 comments: